- Biking benefits under the CBA:
- $25/quarter if you certify that you have biked >80% of that quarter. Attestation form emailed out from GME quarterly.
- A $50,000 annual fund for reimbursement of 1) A bike helmet (technically no annual dollar limit), and 2) Up to $100 annually of “bike maintenance” costs.
- There is an open period each quarter when you can submit bike maintenance costs for reimbursement, also emailed out from GME with attestation form.
- UW Bike Resources
- UW Transportation services has trip planners to help you map out bike commute routes. Submit a request for advice here. They can also assist with other alternative commute options such as walking, carpooling, transit, etc.
- UW Campus bike rooms and secure bike parking.
- Link to register your bike to help in event of theft.
2017 Bike Commute Survey
After initiation of the new CBA in the 2016-2017 academic year we asked the resident community to help us learn more about resident biking habits. We got 167 responses and here is a bit of what we learned!
- Where do respondents bike: UWMC (87%), HMC (70%), SCH (55%), VAMC (30%), SCCA (24%), Other sites (17%)
- Top places residents avoid biking to: VAMC (45%), HMC (21%)
- Top 3 barriers to commuting to work by bike: Weather (55%), Lack of Changing Facilities (52%), Lack of Secure Bike Storage (42%)
- Subsidized UPASS (Seattle public transit pass) available here.
The CBA states “residents will have access to parking at no charge during nights and weekends at UWMC, HMC, SCH and the VA.” In violation of the CBA, UW has not been fulfilling this benefit as outlined. Read more about our ongoing grievance regarding this issue here.
However, there is now a process for getting weekend and some overnight parking at HMC reimbursed, as follows…
HMC PARKING AND COMMUTER SERVICES WILL REFUND RESIDENTS PAY-PER-USE PARKING PERMIT HOLDERS FOR TRANSACTIONS THAT MEET THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:
- Permit holders entered the garage after 17:00 and exited the garage before 07:00, Monday – Friday. Parking is charged at a daily rate of $8.75 for any parking entry or exit outside of these hours. The permit charges are not prorated.
- Weekend parking will be reimbursed if the entry occurred after 17:00 on Friday and the exit occurred prior to 07:00 Monday. Entries and exits prior to or thereafter will be charged accordingly.
- Permit holder must provide transaction record demonstrating that the entries and exits occurred at nights and weekends as defined above. (Note: Currently these records will first need to be requested from firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Refund requests may be submitted to email@example.com. Residents will be allowed up to thirty (30) days from the end of the month they are submitting for to request reimbursement.
As of yet, the official process for UWMC has not been made known to us. Please do attempt to request via UW’s parking office in the same spirit, and let us know if you run into issues.