University of Washington Housestaff Association
The University of Washington Housestaff Association (UWHA) is an independent labor union formed by the medical resident and fellow doctors at the University of Washington affiliated hospitals (members have graduated medical school but are completing specialty training in capacity as a resident or fellow). UWHA advocates for the residents and fellows with respect to housestaff compensation, workplace environment and benefits. UWHA has existed as an organization since the 1960s; however, has only been legally recognized as a union since 2014. UWHA represents approximately 1,400+ doctors in training.
UWHA is seeking an Associate Director to join our organization as our second full-time staff member.
The Associate Director will support membership by organizing members, managing member outreach, building UWHA presence in our local and state communities, and by facilitating programs including the Childcare Fund, Grant Program, Social Events. The Associate Director will assist with a wide range of responsibilities. This is a full time employee (FTE) position, with annual compensation based on an average of 40 hours of work per week with 4 weeks of paid vacation. Membership organizing and administrative duties will each comprise approximately 0.5 FTE, respectively.
- Base Salary is $55,000+, depending on experience. Additionally included: Cell Phone/Internet Stipend, fully-subsidized ORCA Transit Card, Health Insurance, Retirement, and Four Weeks of Paid Vacation. Salary and Benefits are competitive and will be commensurate with experience. We are committed to providing a living wage. Work hours are generally flexible, with the exception of meetings. There is currently no physical office. This individual will work from home unless attending a meeting. Meetings will most commonly be held at the University of Washington Medical Center, Harborview Medical Center, or in the Capitol Hill neighborhood. So while this is a “remote” position, the selected candidate will need to live in or relocate to Seattle, WA.
- Schedule meetings with Board, Members, and work groups
- Manage membership lists and assist with membership growth and mobilization
- Social media engagement, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- General communication with UWHA Members including assisting with weekly newsletter, tabling, and organizing efforts
- General website maintenance including updating with upcoming events – Negotiations, Grievances, Publications, Benefit Programs, etc.
This position reports to the Executive Director and Executive Board.
Required knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 1-3 years of experience as an admin, organizing, or nonprofit professional.
- Knowledge of the labor movement, including principles of union organizing and collective bargaining
- Experience with online organizing and social media
- Proficiency in Google suite
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to use initiative to execute projects that may be vaguely defined
- Willingness to operate in a flexible, less-structured environment – with sometimes irregular hours
Preferred, but not necessary:
- Understanding of the medical training field
- Graphic design skills
- Proficiency with WordPress
There is no degree requirement so long as the candidate has sufficient professional experience.
To apply: Submit a cover letter and resume via e-mail (PDF preferred) to email@example.com with subject line, “Associate Director – Position”. Please include two professional references along with their contact information including phone number and e-mail address. The application deadline is February 14, 2020. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis.